I heard a very interesting fact. By having a straight spine you add 10-15 years on to your life. Have you ever thought about your spine like that? What do you think influences how straight your spine is?
I’ve been talking about thoughts lately. Think of the thousands and thousands of different thoughts you have in just one day. Let’s consider the different thoughts and how they may influence the spine:
Thoughts you may not even be aware you’re thinking:
- You’re out driving your vehicle. You look over at another car driving by and think, I love the color of that car! Maybe you think, ‘Wow that truck looks shiny clean; oh yeah I better get my vehicle washed too.’ You see an ad on TV for a food product and think you should add that item to your grocery list.
- These kinds of thoughts quickly pass through your mind as you go about your day. They come and go. You may not even think about them again. Some thoughts may cause you to feel good and some may cause you to feel drained.
Thoughts which are uplifting and energizing:
- You’re excited about buying the gift for your best friend and can’t wait to give it to them. You got the promotion and you’re sharing the news with everyone. The renovations you did in the home turned out great and you are really proud of the choices you made.
- These kinds of thoughts are fun to have and can be very uplifting! They cause you to open up…lift up…and expand your energy outwards. Overtime you feel a ‘light’ feeling which is energizing!
Thoughts which are judgmental and of a negative tone:
- Your spouse hasn’t been cleaning up after them self lately. Everywhere you look you see signs that your spouse continues to depend on you to clean up after them. People at work don’t fill the photocopy paper when it’s empty. Bugs you to think every time you go to the copier you have to fill the paper tray. You’re trying to talk with parents about a change in your classroom and parents aren’t returning your calls. You find that very stressful. You need to make a decision at work and no one can agree on anything. It frustrates you to even think of making the decision.
- These kinds of thoughts don’t feel so great. They cause you to contract and pull inwards. Overtime you feel a ‘heavy’ feeling which drains your energy leaving you to feel more tired than normal.
On your journey you will have all kinds of thoughts. All kinds of thoughts impact your physical body, in particular the strength of your spine.
- Think of being with people you enjoy! What kinds of thoughts would you have? Maybe you’re excited to find out what’s new with them…it’s like you have all the time in the world to listen to what they have to say. Maybe you notice you’re a little more creative, accepting and content around them; you’re a little more satisfied and fulfilled. You might even find you could spend all day with them and still have lots of energy.
- Think of being with people you don’t like. What kind of thoughts would you have? Maybe you’re more judgmental or even critical of what they say or do in their life. Maybe you find it hard to listen to them. Maybe you notice yourself wanting to leave as soon as you are in their presence.
There are people you enjoy…and then there are people you don’t like. Life will continually introduce both kinds of people into your life. This isn’t about getting rid of the people you don’t like! This is about self awareness because self awareness leaves you in an empowered place.
If you start to pay attention to any thought you will observe the following:
- Some thoughts cause you to physically contract and pull inwards. When contracting and pulling inwards you may observe feeling drained. Feeling drained does energetically pull down on the spine.
- Some thoughts cause you to physically put your shoulders back and open up your chest like you are feeling uplifted. When feeling uplifted that is when you truly feel alive and energized. Feeling alive and energized does energetically lift the weight off the spine.
Knowing that, is it true a straighter spine adds years onto your life? One or two days…one or two years may not make much of a difference. But over time the physical body will let you know. What do you think?
Wherever you are on your journey, may you find what works for you…find your own truth…and you will always be guided to feel at peace inside.
Sheila Unique, Relationship and Self Empowerment Expert!